Filière francophone “Génie chimique et biochimique” / Université de Technologie chimique et de métallurgie de Sofia
The Chemical and Biochemical Engineering program was set up in 1992. It is an internal center of the Sofia University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy (UTCMS), a scientific, cultural and professional establishment. This scientific and technical training program in French benefits from pedagogical and financial support from the AUF and the French Embassy in Bulgaria.
The French-language Chemical and Biochemical Engineering program has been accredited by the Commission des titres d’ingénieur CTI for a maximum period of six years, from January 01, 2023 to December 31, 2028. The courses offered by UTCMS are approved by the French government.
Recognized high-level scientific training:
Polytechnic preparatory cycle (Cycle préparatoire intégré)
During the first two years, students acquire basic scientific and technical knowledge in mathematics, computer science, chemistry, physics, mechanics and industrial design, French, English, communication and an introduction to business management. Second cycle (engineering cycle)
Specialized courses in years 3 and 4 cover the fundamentals of chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering and materials engineering.
Professionalization in the 5th year provides a complementary opening to scientific studies and an introduction to the context of innovative technologies for sustainable development:
- Fine chemicals and biotechnologies
- Environmental protection and sustainable development
- Nanotechnologies and advanced materials
- Modeling and simulation of chemical processes Language upgrading
Pre-University: 4 weeks in September. Intensive French modules and specialized refresher modules in mathematics, chemistry and physics.
French for university studies: one- or two-semester support courses in French, organized in partnership with the Institut Français de Bulgarie.
Organization of studies
- Duration: 5 years
- Language of instruction: 100% of the curriculum in French
- One-month internship after 2nd year Three-month internship after 4th year Six-month internship to prepare a final-year project at the end of 5th year
- Admission and selection requirements
High school diploma.
Selection on the basis of results obtained during secondary education in mathematics, chemistry and physics, supplemented by results obtained :
- Matura in mathematics, chemistry, physics, biology, geography, Bulgarian language, French, English;
- mathematics or chemistry entrance examinations (your choice) to the UTCM
- national olympiads in chemistry, natural sciences, mathematics or physics.
Foreign students recruited on the basis of their academic record.
Recruitment campaigns in December, March and July.
Ecole Nationale Supérieure de chimie de Rennes, Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse (ENSIACET), Ecole Nationale Supérieure de chimie de Montpellier, Ecole Nationale Supérieure de chimie de Lille, Université Paris XIII (Institut Galilée), ISAE – Supméca/Paris.
Funding from the Erasmus Plus program and AUF for study periods, final year projects and internships at the following levels: engineering cycle (3rd, 4th and 5th years) and doctoral cycles ;
- BGF for Master and cotutelle levels
- Financial support from the Fédération Gay-Lussac for the “Chem.I.St.” undergraduate program at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Rennes (ENSCR).
The Commission des titres d’ingénieur issues a favorable opinion, for a maximum period of 6 years from January 1, 2023, on the renewal of state admission to the diploma awarded by the Sofia Technological University of Chemistry and Metallurgy (Bulgaria),
Faculty of Chemical Engineering:
Diplôme de fin d’études supérieures, grade universitaire de ” Master “, spécialité ” Génie chimique et biochimique ” (Filière francophone). Professional qualification “Chemical Engineer”.
The European label for engineering courses EUR-ACE Master has been awarded.
Promising career prospects: Research and development, Environmental engineering, Engineering, technical studies and consulting, Quality assurance engineer, Health and safety engineer, Production engineer, Operations, management, logistics, Project or program management, Customer relations (sales, customer support).
University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy
8, bd. St. Kliment Ohridski, 1756 Sofia
Tel: (+ 359 2) 816 31 21,